Last updated on October 8, 2021
GET THE LOOK:
Now that summer is winding down and it’s getting breezier outside, my favorite thing to wear are dresses and skirts that blow dramatically in the wind. And if it just so happens that it slaps someone you don’t like as you walk by, well even better… Haha all jokes aside, this Urban Outfitters maxi dress was such a good find — the strappy back and high slits make for a great piece to wear at night, and if you wear a leather vest over it during the day, you can transition it to an office appropriate getup (which is exactly what I did).
Details: Urban Outfitters ‘Ecote’ Strappy Back Safari Maxi dress, Madewell sandals (sold out but similar styles here at Madewell’s sale), Chanel bag. Photos by Daniela.
Maybe I’m a coffee aficionado, but being raised in a family of Cubans, I was born into drinking a shot of Cuban espresso first thing in the morning. I literally mean born, since I came straight out of the womb with a cafesito in my hand, possibly at 3:05pm. If a shot of that doesn’t wake you up from the dead, nothing will… and according to my grandmother, who sources every ancestor possible to back her up on this, it cures everything. She also used to say this about Vick’s Vapor Rub (research still pending). So where exactly can you go from there? During college, I was up to five cups a day– but now that I’m in my mid-twenties I’ve tried to leave all traces of my over indulgent behavior behind, although sometimes my Gemini tendencies get the best of me. But that doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy at least 3 cups daily still, and for the sake of indulging in something other than a central nervous system stimulant, I tend to make the spots I go to inspiring; with flavorful coffee, out of this world food, and it certainly doesn’t hurt that the decor is usually picturesque enough to capture it for the Gram (the proof is below). And since I’m feeling generous, I’m going to list all of the spots I’ve been frequenting lately, and why they’re worth sitting down with a book, a laptop or an interesting, conversational friend.
Last week, I had the pleasure of having my hair colored at Cutler in West Broadway, a Redken salon, where they promised to make me a Blonde Idol. When I originally dyed my hair lighter, I was worried that the color would slowly fade, but instead it became brassier. Being unfamiliar with having blonder locks, I thought I’d have to go through the mission of dying it all over again and trying to even it out slowly, and having to find a way to do that that didn’t clash with my naturally tanned skin. There’s nothing worse than a hair color that doesn’t suit your natural pigmentation or looks unnatural.
When I arrived at Cutler Soho, my colorist, Chiala Marvici, recommended that instead of using more bleach we should even out the top so it was less of a stark contrast and more of a gradual progression of color. She used a toner to clean up my original blonde, and foiled tiny pieces at the top to give it that natural look. The result was a beautifully natural, sun-kissed top with a much less brassy, much brighter bottom half. I’ve also been using Redken’s line of Blonde Idol products to keep my blonde shiny, bright and most importantly, brass-free. The line comes with a separate conditioner depending on the undertone of your blonde, brighter or cooler. Needless to say, I’m thrilled with the outcome and the products have really helped me maintain that original brightness. I can’t wait to go even lighter, but I was advised to do it gradually so as to not ruin the quality of the hair with too much processing. Stay tuned!
The Blonde Idol products that I’ve been using to maintain my blonde:
- Blonde Idol Sulfate-Free Shampoo: Gentle, sulfate-free daily cleansing shampoo for all blondes.
- Blonde Idol Custom Tone Conditioner Violet for Warm Blondes: Adjustable color-depositing daily conditioner for cool blondes helps neutralize brassiness. Dual-chamber releases a custom calibrated blend of color-depositing and conditioning formulas that can be adjusted as needed over time. Deeply conditions, strengthens and helps preserve tonality between salon visits.
- Blonde Idol Custom Tone Conditioner Gold for Warm Blondes: Adjustable color-depositing daily conditioner for warm blondes helps neutralize brassiness. Dual-chamber releases a custom calibrated blend of color-depositing and conditioning formulas that can be adjusted as needed over time. Deeply conditions, strengthens and helps preserve tonality between salon visits.
- Blonde Idol BBB Spray: A lightweight, leave-in or rinse-out multi-benefit conditioning spray. First BBB hair treatment that balances, beautifies and brightens blondes.
- Blonde Idol Mask: Nourishing rinse-out treatment.
Shop Blonde Idol in New York City or Los Angeles here and for more Redken related product updates, follow Redken on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. For more of my adventures, tune into Instagram @miamitomanhattan. xx
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Redken through Conde Nast. All opinions are my own. Photos by Daniela Spector.