When I find something I love, I stick to it. This is generally even more true about beauty products — while I like to test out new things here and there, once I find what I love, I rarely change it. For my face, I was using Chanel’s Vitalumiere Aqua foundation for almost three years and I’ve only recently upgraded to Lancome’s Teint Idole, which I’m obsessed with. This is what I do pretty much every morning, and the products I’ve found to be really reliable.
- Lancome Teint Idole 24h Foundation with SPF 15. I was recommended this foundation by a Sephora employee and I was pretty hesitant to try it, even though I LOVE their Double Wear powder. When she put it on my face it felt very light, and I got home that day and it still looked perfect — for me, that’s not too dewy and not too matte. It’s medium coverage but buildable. My biggest issue with foundations is transfer, I hate having to worry about getting it on my clothes or feeling that it’s not fully dry. Teint Idole claims to be transfer-resistant, and so far I’m pretty impressed.
- NARS Concealer in Custard. This is the one thing aside from mascara I can’t leave the house without. Before listening to countless YouTube gurus (mostly Ingrid/missglamorazzi), rave about this concealer, I never really thought it was necessary for me to wear any. Then I tried this one and it really feels like your whole face gets brighter when you put it on. Sometimes I also use this as a highlighter, since it’s a bit lighter than my skin tone. It has a thick but smooth consistency and brightens my eyes like nothing else.
- Urban Decay Primer Potion in Original. I can’t stress the importance of wearing eyeshadow primer. This particular one from UD is my favorite because one tube lasts me pretty much all year, it brightens all my shadows and makes them last all day, and if I go out that night with the same eye makeup it’ll stay on too. I’ve been using this for years and I’ve never had my eye makeup come off before I wanted it to.
- Naked 2 Eyeshadow Palette. This is really up to personal preference, but in my opinion, the Naked 2 palette is the best out of all three. I prefer the range of colors (the only colors you’ll ever need); some of my favorites are Half Baked (golden-bronze with shimmering finish), Booty Call (shimmering cork), Snake Bite (dark bronze shimmer with metallic base), Suspect (pale golden beige with shimmering finish), Busted (deep brown with shimmering finish), Blackout (blackest black with matte finish). I also really love the Naked Basics palette — really easy-to-wear neutrals.
- Benefit ‘Hoola’ Bronzer // NARS Bronzer/Blush Duo in ‘Orgasm and Laguna’ // MAC Blush in Peaches. My favorite thing about both the Benefit bronzer and the NARS one is how universally flattering and natural they are. I use Hoola every day to contour a bit, then I use my MAC blush in ‘Peaches’ and I’m ready to go. These shades are really similar to the NARS duo.
- L’Oreal Telescopic Liquid Eyeliner. I always get questions about how I do my cat-eye liner and what liner I use. It’s surprisingly not a high end, pricy liner — and it’s one that I’ve been using for years with absolutely no fuss, smears or having it come off before I want it to. L’Oreal’s Telescopic is very similar to Lancome’s Art Liner (they’re manufactured by the same people), and hands down the best I’ve tried. The long, thin wand makes it really easy for me to draw my cat-eye quickly in the morning.
- Dior Diorshow Brow Styler. Aside from concealer and mascara, the #1 thing I will always use no matter where I’m going is my eyebrow pencil. I love having my eyebrows looking perfectly tame, even, and dark. Before Dior, I was using Chanel’s pencil, and while it was working for me really well, Dior definitely beats it. The pencil is really natural looking and doesn’t require sharpening (I hate having to do that and you always lose so much of the product!)
- Benefit Roller Lash Mascara. // MAC Lipstick in Modesty. I’ve tried A LOT of mascaras. I mean, a lot. High end, low end… everything. Right now, this one’s my go-to. It curls perfectly and lengthens/thickens, but remains really natural and not clumpy. Just like I’ve tried every mascara under the sun, I hoard lipsticks. For a while, it was YSL, but the lasting power left a lot to be desired, especially when they’re upwards of $30 a pop. I still have a few of my go-to Chanel Rouge Allure’s, and I absolutely love them, but for every day use I love my MAC lipsticks. Right now, I’m really into nudes (twss) so my favorite shades are Half and Half and Modesty.
Hopefully this guide helps you find your HG products — and if you have ONE takeaway, let it be eyeshadow primer.